Did you know that internet users perform more than 1.5 Google searches daily?
Google is the leading search engine with a market share of approximately 90%, which means that most of us begin our searches on Google before we move to other search engines.
This is the reason why I say that Google is the best free keyword research tool because bloggers, marketers and any other online entrepreneurs are always exposed to keywords left, right and center while using Google.
Keyword research is not a one-time business but a progressive activity because you should continue to update your keywords lists and also discover trending patterns.
I know there are paid keyword research tools, such as Longtail Pro, KW Finder, SemRush and Jaaxy, Keyword Revealer, which are easier to use because you perform all activities from one dashboard without moving from one tool to the next.
However, I feel that Google is the best keyword research tool because you can be able to identify new keywords daily when you begin to use the 9 free Google tools below consciously and strategically for keyword research.
Want detailed books that will teach you SEO and Keyword Research indepth? Try the two below:
What is keyword research?
Keyword research is the process of finding search phrases, words, and queries that people enter on search engines to find information.
Keywords differ from one niche to the next, and this is the reason why you must do keyword research to find keywords relevant to your business.
Recommended reading: How to research Keywords that will get you on Page 1 of Google.
Types of keywords
|1. Length||One-word generic terms||2-3 words phrases||3+ words search queries|
|2. Search volume||High||Medium||Low|
|3. Competition||High||High to Medium||Low|
|4. CTR and conversion||Low||Low to Medium||High|
|5. Example||“Business”||“Online business”||“Online business ideas for beginners”|
9 free Google resources which make it the best free keyword research tool
1. Google autocomplete
Google autocomplete function helps you to find search terms and predictions related to the phrase or keyword you are searching.
Google creates these predictions based on the term you are typing, your past search history, trending stories and what other people are searching.
Google autocomplete is the best free keyword research tool because it helps you to discover new keywords. Also, you can easily find longtail keywords, which are the best for SEO by adding all new predictions to the initial search query
2. Google related searches
Google related searches are derived from the top and rising searches related to your initial search query.
To find Google related searches, search any phrase or keyword and scroll down to the bottom of the SERP page.
The advantage is that you can keep discovering new related searches by searching a new keyword or open each option in the related searches suggestions.
For example, I searched “keyword research,” and these are the Google related searches I got.
3. Google Correlate
Google correlate you to discover search queries related to a specific keyword for a period or in a given location.
What makes this one of the best free keyword research tools, is that it will help you to discover patterns using real-world data meaning that its results are more realistic.
Recommended reading: How to use Google Correlate for keyword research (Video) and the definitive beginners guide to Google Correlate
4. Google Trends
Google Trends is closely similar to Google Correlate, and it can boost your keyword research process in the following ways;
- Identify seasonal trends: You can use this to remain relevant by discovering the right keywords which will help you to create content at the right peak times. Also, it can give you future predictions, which will help you to start optimizing your pages and content before peak times.
- Discover new content ideas: Google trends will show you trending searches and even rising topics of interest, which you can transform into content ideas.
- Discover new keywords from the “related queries” suggestions.
- Create a well-targeted campaign because Google trends will show you the relevance of keywords based on states.
Recommended reading: How to use Google Trends for Keyword research
5. Google Keyword Planner
You have to sing up for a Google AdWords account to be able to use this best free keyword research tool.
Google keyword planner will help you in keyword research in many ways, such as the four below;
- Find new keywords: All you have to do is to enter a search phrase or keyword to get thousands of keyword suggestions.
- Get keyword metrics: These include clicks, impressions, cost, CTR, CPC, search volume, competition and other keyword metrics.
- Compare keywords: This tool allows you to combine separate lists of keywords into one for easy comparison.
- Discover searchers intent through finding keywords with high purchase motive and open rates.
Suggested reading: How to get the most out of Google Keyword Planner.
6. Google Chrome extensions
Google Chrome, one of the most popular, sure and fast browser, has a wide range of extensions you can use for all purposes, such as SEO, productivity, social media marketing and keyword research among others.
Recommended reading: 30 of the Best Google Chrome Extensions to make Browsing Easy
5 of the best Google Chrome extensions for Keyword research
This is one of my favorite best free keyword research tools because of it very useful in many ways;
- Provide keyword metrics: This tool will help you to discover search volume, CPC and competition data on all keywords as you continue browsing.
- Bulk upload: You can upload a list of keywords and get their metrics from one CSV file which will make their comparison easy.
- Add favorite keywords to list: This tool will help you to make every new keyword you discover as you browse and save it for later use or analysis.
- Analyze keywords in any webpage: You can visit any webpage and discover keywords in it using this fantastic
Suggested reading: How to use Keyword everywhere for keyword research.
Unlike other tools, MozBar will not help you to discover new keywords. The feature that makes this one of the best free keyword research tools is that it will help you to determine if you can rank for a specific keyword.
Once it is installed in your Google Chrome browser, this tool will give you page authority (PA), Domain Authority (DA) and link analysis data of all search results.
Let’s say your website has 23 PA, 35 DA, and 100 links; then you want to use MozBar to find out if sites with lower, similar or slightly higher metrics like yours are ranking for the same keyword.
For instance, the above website cannot rank for the keyword “SEO” because only sites with PA and DA above 80 with more than 10,000 links are ranking for that keyword.
Therefore, MozBar is one of the best keyword research tools because it helps you to discover the right keywords which match your website PA, DA and backlink analysis stats.
This, in turn, will improve your Google ranking because it helps you to focus on relevant keywords only.
This is a fantastic SEO Chrome extension which will help you to discover keywords on any webpage.
What makes this one of the best free keyword research tools is that you can use it anywhere on the web at the click of a button. Also, it has a simple interface, which makes it time-saving.
A powerful keyword research tool which allows you to find keywords related to any search phrase you enter on the search box.
The upside is that it pulls the data from multiple platforms: Google, Youtube, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon and eBay, and this makes it one of the best free keyword research tool.
Also, you can be able to export the data gathered with this tool to a CSV file for more detailed analysis.
e) SEO quake
This is an SEO powerhouse tool which will help you to perform more functions apart from keyword research.
Four ways this tool can help you with keyword research;
- Get keyword metrics, such as search volume, CPC, and
- Measure keyword difficulty
- Run a keyword audit on your website or any other
- Determine keyword density.
7. Google Console
You need to submit and verify your property with Google webmaster tools before you can enjoy the keyword research benefits of Google search console.
From Google console, you can find keywords from the search queries data, which shows keywords related to your website data.
You can use this tool to discover new keywords or learn which keywords in are performing better from the clicks and competition data.
Suggested reading: How to increase your traffic with Google search console.
8. Google Analytics
Google analytics tool will help you to discover which keywords you are ranking for or which ones are getting more impressions and clicks.
In return, you can use this information to create more content around those keywords because it shows what your audience wants to see more.
Therefore, this is one of the best free keyword research tools because it will help you to boost your search rankings and performance.
9. Google insights
Google insights is a fantastic keyword research tool which will help you to gather keyword data and trends in the following ways;
- Find future trends of certain keyword phrases so that you can be able to write relevant content.
- Understand which keywords are performing better based on location and audience demographics.
- Find businesses who are ranking for those similar keywords.
- Analyze how a given keyword has been performing over a period.
Google Alternatives keyword research tools
Over to you now! There are many keyword research tools both free and paid out there.
You can choose to make Google your best free keyword research tool because you will always be exposed to the 9 resources above every time you use Google for web browsing.
I think you may also be interested in the following posts;
- How to research keywords that will get you on page 1 OF Google
- Ten newbie-friendly on page SEO techniques
- 4 of the best off page SEO techniques you need now.
Want detailed books that will teach you SEO and Keyword Research indepth? Try the two below:
Feel free to leave a comment below asking a question, or even better provide a suggestion of a post you would like me to write about.
Did you like the post? Kindly pin it or share it.